This is a chronicle of my first attempt at a realistic portrait in acrylic paint. My little Sister, Sara.
Note: this was originally posted to backspac.es when I finished the painting in 2014, I'm just trying to gather all the goodness in one place.
All my underpaintings are done in ocher yellow… It’s what my main painting professor preferred and I think it lends a bright quality to the end result. Since I was working on board, I did a little sketching in pencil as well, trying to get all the bits in the right places.
Once the details are sketched in, the real painting begins.
Base tones for the skin are laid in. I like to start - at least for paler skin tones - by filling in shadows and contours with the same ocher yellow. Because this is acrylic and layers easily, I started with the eyes so I could build up the layers of detail.
At this point it was declared excessively creepy (by SO and housemates) and couldn’t face out on the easel.
Realized that it looked creepy because the bridge of the nose was too short... Yay for the ability to mask your mistakes with acrylic! Fixed and moving on!
Added eyelashes and extras, used a toothbrush to spray on some light freckles. Finally got the lips looking ok. (lips are hard...)
Color in the hoodie and starting to add final highlights on the skin and hair. Final highlights, extra freckles, detail on the hoodie and reflection in the eyes finish it up!